Thursday, January 5, 2017

Moved to compassion

Day 3

"As we draw so near to you Lord...would you draw so near to us. Lord as we cry would you meet us where we are". ~As we Cry~

It's Sunday which means it's time to start seeing patients and attend church!

We attended the second service in a packed Catholic church that lasted for over 2 hours. The Priest talked about the power of prayer in our daily lives. What should we do when we feel sad? Pray. What should we do when we feel happy? Pray. What should we do when we're scared? Pray. We should pray, pray, pray every day day day. In the ordinary, the in between, in our cars, behind closed doors, in the grocery store... Victory, strength, winning the race is all done in our prayers; our quiet, our loud, our crying conversations with God. He hears our cries.

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances" 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Most people did not have much for money but EVERYBODY gave something to the offering whether it was a chicken or a few coins. Their FAITH that GOD PROVIDES moved me.

The missionaries stated that when they bring us "Americans"to the church that we give generously and have provided many needs for the church. Give always with a thankful heart. Give away the things of God and your cup will overflow. 


Medical Clinic 

Lord, may your love and healing fill the rooms of this clinic. Humble us, that we would not rely on our talents and skill but on Yours. Thank you for this opportunity to serve others. In Jesus name, Amen


Brase Clinic



"Feel most Welcome" Karibuni

Pre-op 

2 table Operating Room


After our tour of the clinic it was time to assess the long line-up of patients who had traveled for days on foot and some who slept outside for days waiting for "good, American care." Their desperation for help and care should resemble our need and desperation for God. Their grace and patience in the waiting should be exactly how we wait upon God.

 Interpreters lined the hallways to help us as the surgeons decided who were candidates for surgery. Other patients were seen and treated by our primary care doctor. With limited resources and an even limited pharmacy, it was hard to not be frustrated at times. How lucky we are to have what we have. How great are people's needs in Africa, in other countries, even in our own country. Regardless of the limitations of time and our supplies, our love and desire to serve God was greater and the God we serve even GREATER.

Presence 

Service to others

Helping and healing

Listening

At the end of every day wrapped in my mosquito netted bed and exhausted, I was so full of joy and such compassion that my chest actually hurt... I ached. I remember wondering if this is even a morsel of the ache Jesus felt as He walked our broken world. I prayed nightly for God to fill me up that I would overflow Jesus' compassion, love and healing onto the lives of my African patients.                                                                                                                 


Africa was my ocean. The Spirit of God had led me here where the only thing that was familiar was Him.

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, Let me walk upon the waters, wherever You would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wonder and my faith will be made stronger." Hillsong, Oceans.

My dream of becoming a nurse had been burning in me since I was 2 years old. And God led me here.
"For perhaps this is the moment you were created for." Esther 4:14




No comments:

Post a Comment